Prednisone, commonly known by its trade name Deltasone is a medicine drug that is usually prescribed for conditions that include the treatment of arthritis, breathing issues, allergies that are beyond severe, even cancer, eye troubles, blood disorders and finally immune system disorders. These are the most common of uses. Prednisone is a medication of the class of drug called corticosteroids. The medicine works by reducing the symptoms like swelling and allergy, thereby decreasing the response of the immune system. More technically speaking, Prednisone uses include the treatment of meningitis, tuberculosis, infections by parasites, sarcoidosis, pneumonia, leukemia- both chronic and acute, thyroid inflammation, anaemia and so on. Prednisone is a steroid speaking generically, and the drug benefits include treating the condition you are down with by targeting the overreacting immune system. It not only tries to keep the system in check, but also fixes the source, for example eliminates whatever was causing the reaction at the first place- like an allergy, or a virus. To sum it up, the main benefit of Prednisone is that it reduces inflammation, treats rashes, and regulates the functioning of your body by suppressing immunity levels.
HOW TO USE PREDNISONE:
To take Prednisone, you need to know your dosage as prescribed by your doctor. It is usually suggested along with food or milk, since it might be the cause of an upset stomach, which you most certainly don’t want when already troubled. You can also take the medicine directly with a glass of water. However, in case you are using the medicine in its liquid form, you need to make sure, you worked on the measurement right. To avoid risks, do use a special measuring spoon or cup. Household spoons might not be suitable for the correct dose. The dose should be taken early morning by 9 if it is a single dose.
The medication should be followed as is issued to you. Dosage should be up on a schedule and not missed at any cost. This might affect the reliability of the medication. Another important thing to keep in mind in the timing of when you take the medicine. Around the clock, try to take it the same time each day. This avoids fluctuation, and gives your body the idea to expect the medication when its time. Sometimes, it might so happy that the conditions don’t improve. In such cases, either the dosage is altered, or discarded entirely, the latter in effect if you experience side effects without getting better at all. The doctor might also choose to add new medicines to keep a check on your side effects, so do tell your doctor if symptoms persist. Don’t try to crush or break the medicine when you have it.
Usual Adult Dose for Nephrotic Syndrome:
Initial- This dose is divided twice a day to release protein discharge with the urine. Prednisone 4 mg is given/ day with each dose. When there is a change in condition, that is an improvement is noticed, the dosage is reduced to 1.5 mg and repeated alternatively for the next 4 weeks or so.
Maintenance dose for frequent relapses also falls under this category and is just a precautionary measure after the condition has almost been treated. The dosage is 0.5-1 mg/ dose, that is administered alternatively for about 120 days.
Usual Adult Dose for Anti-Inflammatory:
Prednisone 10 mg to Prednisone 60 mg is the daily dose for anti-inflammatory purpose and it is sub divided into doses of 1-4 times each day.
Usual Pediatric Dose for Nephrotic Syndrome:
The initial dose here consists a 4 week Prednisone dosage. The division is done as 20 mg Prednisone/ day at least 4 times for the first 3 days, until the urine has no more protein content. Thereafter, the usual dose is followed by corrective dosage of about 1-1.5 mg spanning through the duration of each day of a month. This is the maintenance phase dose, as discussed earlier.
A few other Prednisone dosage worth mentioning-
Usual Pediatric Dose for Asthma:
- If asthma is less than a year, the acute dose is that of Prednisone 10 mg to be taken orally after every 12 hours. For the maintenance dose, 10 mg every other day should be enough.
- For 1- 4 years of acute asthma patients, Prednisone 20 mg is given every alternating 12 hours, while for a mild maintenance dose, 20 mg alternatively is advised by the doctor.
- For 5-12 years aged patients of acute asthma, the suggested dose is Prednisone 30 mg daily after every 12 hours. This is done until an improvement is seen. When there is a reported benefit, the same dose is given switched between every other day.
- For more than 12 years of age, Prednisone 50 mg is given orally every 12 hours daily if acute and alternatively once each day if the dosage is for maintenance.
Usual Pediatric Dose for Anti-Inflammatory:
1-4 times a day, about 2 mg of Prednisone dosage is given to treat the condition.
Usual Pediatric Dose for Immuno suppression:
0.05 to 2 mg is given each day for at least 1to 4 times as per the need.
Liver Dose Adjustments:
Prednisone is usually inactive in this case and needs to be metabolized first by the liver to take effect. Which is why, it is not usually suggested.
Do not adjust your dose without consulting your physician. Your consultant will check for the condition and its response to the medicine before bringing in a change in dose or stopping the medication altogether.
- While Prednisone dosage is relatively safe when kept in control, do avoid sudden withdrawal from the medication, especially when it has been a long-term therapy.
- Take the medicine on a whole and inform your doctor right away in case there is an allergy, which bring us to the next most important thing.
- Do check out the contents to determine if you are allergic to the medication in any way. Continue using only if deemed safe for you.
- Let your doctor know about your medical history and infections of all sorts, any deficiency in the body and blood shouldn’t be neglected either.
- Prednisone is a corticosteroid and its long use can make it difficult for your body to deal with stress. This can lead to gaining weight, so consult your physician about if you should exercise or not.
- Don’t forget to mention your medicine condition when you are about to undergo a surgery even if it is as unrelated as a dental one.
- Any infection can get worse so do ensure you stay away from affected people when you are under medication.
- Liquid form of Prednisone dosage may have alcohol or sugar. Hence exercise caution accordingly and get yourself checked for diabetes as and when advised.
- Use the product overall safely. Don’t flush it down without caution if not needed.
- Check expiry date well before consumption.
- Sometimes, vaccines might prove to be ineffective because of the medication, hence prevent the immunization appointment schedules during this time.
- Hormones can go for a leap and get worse if you already have a condition. Keep visiting the consulting physician regularly.
- When pregnant, a thorough safe check might be necessary as it passes down the blood. Discussing all the risks and weighing out the benefits would be a good idea before you hastily decide the medication is apt for your condition all by yourself. Remember your child is still growing and you don’t want to put him in danger in his developmental phase. You ought to get his height and hair checked every now and then.
- Although the medication passed down through the breast milk, it is not likely to affect your child in a sever way, but a check wouldn’t do much harm just to be sure.
Drug interactions interact with the way your medicine work and hence put you to risk for serious side effects. Not all drug interactions can be listed, however, Prednisone being a prescription drug is relatively high on interactions, which is why it is advisable that you don’t change the dosage or add new medication with the drug without consulting your doctor and getting an approval.
A few of the medical product that are known to interact with Prednisone are Aldesleukin, Mifepristone. This drugs can cause bleeding or bruising internally if taken along with the corticosteroid. NSAIDs such as celecoxib and ibuprofen are in the list of medicines to be avoided as well.
Heart attack medications do interact as well, however if your doctor has advised you to continue with your dose, it is fine to go on with it unless advised to do otherwise in your therapy session. The medication might also interfere with skin tests, and lead to false positives. Telling the laboratory staff about your medication would be a wise idea.
The Interactions of Prednisone are of 3 Types:-
Moderate, Serious and Severe:
For moderate interactions of Prednisone, the medication may cause some risk, however if your healthcare center gives an okay, the medications together mean no harm.
For serious interactions with other medications, Prednisone dosage can cause harmful side effects and is hence not allowed without doctor supervision at all times.
Severe Prednisone interactions cause fatal side effects and are these medicines are never taken together. Get in touch with your professional pharmacist to know more about the formation of interactive compounds and their health risks.
Overdose and Missed Dose:
If adverse reactions are noted after an overdose, a call to the poison control center should be carried out right away. The center will work on the dose and try to reverse it as effectively as other. To prevent overdose, do not give away your medicine dose to others. It might so be your condition is different and needs a varying dose much like the other person needs a different dose.
For a missed dose, the medicine should be taken right away when remembered. However, there is no choice but to skip if you are close to your next dose. Resume the next dosage and talk to your doctor about when to catch up with the previous dose. Do not double up the dose as Prednisone side effects await you otherwise, which can get out of hand in case of an over dosage.
Light and moisture should be entirely avoided when it comes to corticosteroids. Neither should medicines like Prednisone be stored in the bathroom where there’s too little light. Medicines should be kept away from children and pets.
Do not flush medicines and discard them properly once the expiry date has arrived. You can always contact the local disposal company personally for added precaution. Do not burn off the medicine.
PREDNISONE SIDE EFFECTS:
- There are, like most medicines, issues like nausea, vomiting, sleeping troubles, excessive sweating, and appetite loss with acne associated as Prednisone side effects. Seeing your pharmacist right away will benefit you and reduce the side effects promptly. He or she will weigh out the risks and side effects. Serious side effects aren’t usually reported, however, get your weight noted down to notice discrepancies if any.
- A few other severe symptoms include health issues like pain, irregular heartbeat, swelling of body parts, gain of weight, blurred vision, blackened stool, mood changes, bone weakness, thinning of skin.
This medicine although doesn’t affect diabetes by altering sugar levels, you still need to keep an eye out and talk to your doctor in case conditions persist.
Prednisone side effects, although existent, is not too severe, and hence this is a rather safe drug to take in cases when prescribed. However, much like other times, prevention will save you unnecessary hassles all the way. Keep in mind all the precautions and dosage to allow the medicine to work efficiently, so you can reap the benefits.