In the world where medicines shape up how we heal and the rate at which we do, oxycodone has proven itself as a revolutionary invention. In basic terms, oxycodone is a opioid that is synthesized and is semisynthetic in nature. Thebaine is an opoid alkaloid from which it is synthesized. Thebaine is an alkaloid that is in abundant in the Persian poppy, also known as the opium poppy. Commonly speaking, it is a narcotic analgesic that is used to release moderate pain to severe ache. A rather new drug it was formulated in 1917 in Germany. The scientific name for the drug is oxycodone oxy hydro is oxycontin. It is a time release oxycodone that is usually proven to improve the quality of life by reducing pain. The most common use of oxycodone is as that of a narcotic analgesic for moderating chronic pain. It should however be prescribed with caution since it could otherwise lead to over dosage and sometimes even end in death of the patient.
A study conducted compared oxycodone to morphines and showed that the side effects of oxycodone are way less than that of the other common alternatives. It is also a first-line treatment in case of the pain that is so often associated with cancer.
OXYCODONE DRUG BENEFITS:
The drug is to be taken in oral form every 12 hours. Your expert should know all about the dosage of oxycodone to induce pain relief in your body. It is used all over the world and is clearly efficient in treatment of all sorts of sores and aches. Depending on your pain sensitivity, the medication dosage varies. It works by reducing the symptom all over and decrementing the pain in turn alongside the hyperalgesia. It is highly controlled and hence leaves no chance of severe side effects if administered in the right doses.
HOW TO USE:
The usual dosage of oxycodone needs to be just as it has been prescribed to you. Following the directions on your prescription label should be perfect and even if your pain gets worse than it usually is, you should never take extra doses thinking it will help relieve the pain faster and more effectively. The medicine will not only stop working, but also lead to an addiction of overdose and possibly death. More on that in the side effects section. To release your pain, you need to use only oxycotone and stop the use of every other narcotic pain medicines that you were prescribed to. This should be the first step. The next would be to use it directly and swallow it whole instead of leaving it open to microbes around. Besides, swallowing it whole will also keep you away from the overdosing harms. Take tablets not at once but one at a time if you have been prescribed more than two by the doctor. Do not ever wet or pre-soak your dose and place it in your mouth with plenty of water to avoid discomfort and choking. Not only does it make swallowing easier, but also makes it easier to decompose off and start working.
In case your dosage is liquid, measure the dose using the syringe that is provided. You can also use a special spoon or medicine cup to measure. Ask your pharmacist for a cup as soon as possible for measurement if you don’t have one as incorrect dosage could have fatal consequences.
Don’t ever crush the pill or inhale it or even worse inject the drug in any way. This sort of abuse to the prescription drug has never ended well for anyone and its best to avoid it on a whole. Store the pill at room temperature and it is best to keep it away from moisture and heat. Do make sure you always check to make sure you are taking the right pill first and ask for your doctors opinion if you aren’t sure. Do not store away leftovers of the pill. Flush the unused ones and throw away the liquid ones after 90 days since the cap has been opened irrespective of the arrival of the expiry date. A small measure of human safety could go a long way in keeping you safe.
There is no schedule for oxycodone dosage since it is to be used when there is pain involved. But when that happens, a regulated routine should be there to make sure there is proper time gap between each dose and there is no extra or missed hour between two pills that you take.
Coming to the talk of overdose, if you do take more medicine that you should, call right away the poison helpline, or seek medical attention soon. Overdose in children especially can be fatal.
In adults who are suffering from pain, the typical dosage of oxycodone can be divided into categories. For each, the individual dosage is given.
- This is the first dose and is in the form of immediate release, and controlled release.
- Immediate release form: Oxycodone 5 mg to oxycodone 15 mg are administered after a gap of every four to six hours depending on the dose.
- Controlled release dose: Oxycodone 10mg is taken by the patient in every passing 12 hours.
- Oxycodone Oral Solution is given at a dose of 100 mg every 5 mL (20 mg/mL) and is of use in case the patient is opioid-tolerant only.
- Maintenance dose, much like initial dose has 2 forms the immediate release and controlled release
- Immediate release: Immediate release is given 10 mg to 30 mg at a span of every four hours.
Controlled release form is about 20 mg and can be up 640 mg. This is usually given to patients with cancer pain. The average total in such cases is around a 105 of milligrams per day.
Oxycodone Extended-Release Dose:
- These are usually 60 to 80 mg tablets that have a single dose larger than 40mg and is hence intended for opioid tolerant patients only. All other opioid induced drugs must be avoided with an ongoing oxycodone 80mg dosage. Swallowing the tablet as mentioned is the right way to go by and retain the effectiveness of each dose.
- The other types of dosage include oxycodone 50mg used usually as a concentrated version of the usual drug and is to be administered after recording the pain response once.
- Conversion medications that were formulated with the oral extended release tablets are also known to be used. In such cases these are just temporary medications used as a rescue option in case the patient suddenly grows allergic to his own opioid prescribed medicine. A close monitoring is required if the dosage is above oxycodone 30 mg to determine if the patient has developed allergic reactions or is showing any symptoms that resemble the side effects that the medicine is used as an alternative for initially. Rescue medication dosage should be titrated and documentation should be maintained for the doctor to access in the end once the pain has subsided. Inter-patient variability is often recorded and hence should be kept an open eye for.
- Prior to your dose beginning, you ought to keep a few things in mind. The one that in particular needs to be taken care of first is a check to determine if you are allergic to oxycodone since side effects in that case include a blockage in the intestine and respiratory distress. Allergies are hard to overcome and should be tested out by using a small amount of medicine and leaving it to react. If no adverse reactions are noted, indulging in the medicine to treat the acute pain you are in should be just fine.
- Do not ever use oxycodone especially if you are making use of some other similar medicine for pain relief and have grown tolerant to it. Talking to your doctor before switching the medicine would be wise.
- Since oxycodone maybe habit forming, it is recommended to not share it with other people, especially when someone has a history of substance abuse or even worse is dealing with an addiction. The medication should be kept in places away from the reach of others. Selling the medication to someone else is punishable by law.
- If you are pregnant, even the smallest of oxycodone 5mg dosage could be harmful since your baby might start to grow dependant on it, leading to withdrawal symptoms in him after he is born.
- Do not breast feed or nurse your child when using the medication, since it can pass off to your child indirectly and affect him overall.
- Never administer above oxycodone 10 mg to a child without proper opinion of the physician.
- Avoid alcohol when you are under the effect of oxycodone,
- Medications like oxycodone 10 mg or above tend to bring in a lot of dizziness. Avoid driving in cases as such. Also make sure you are not around staircases or machineries.
INTERACTION WITH OTHER MEDICINES:
Opioid analgesics when used along with oxycodone has issues on your health as they interact and cause undesirable issues that include severe problems to moderate fitness troubles. The severe ones include respiratory distress and the moderate ones usually include stomach disturbances and cough for a while. Grapefruit juice may also be a reason for your concern as its interaction might be troublesome as well. Discuss the drug constituents before starting with any foreign medicine alongside oxycodone. The most common medications that usually tend to interact with oxycodone are antibiotics like erythromycin, antidepressants, antifungal drugs,muscle relaxtants, diuretics, sleeping pills and Rifabutin.
OXYCODONE SIDE EFFECTS:
- Although a rather significant medication in terms of pain release, you should steer clear of oxycodone if you are suffering from an asthma that is serious or maybe an intense breathing issue either. Blockage in stomach or the intestines are other issues that you need to take into consideration and talk to your physician about when they prescribe you with the drug. This is because, oxycodone might take a toll on your breathing and slow it down in the start of the usage of the medicine, in particular each time that the dose is been moved toward a change. Try to never take the drug more than needed and never break or crush the medicine to release the inside pill. Swallow the medicine whole and do not risk exposure to a lethal dose. Always take in amounts as prescribed. Do make sure to mention to your doctor about your pregnancy if you have conceived when you are under prescription of the medicine as this can otherwise cause severe withdrawal symptoms that can even prove to be life threatening for both you and your newborn. Dangerous side effects like death can occur when you combine your pill with alcohol. So either consult a doctor or avoid the alcohol on a whole when you need to take the pill to release pain.
- To sum it up, you ought to keep an eye for breathing problems mostly. The few other issues that you need to be wary of when taking oxycodone are seizures, urination problems along with a slow development of liver disease that might spread to the kidney. Adrenal gland disorder is rather common as well and so are issues with the pancreas and gallbladder. However these are usually when the medication is way out of the league of what the expected dosage should be. If you find an allergic reaction, stop using it at once before it develops into drowsiness and you passing out.
- Breathing problems and itching are mostly caused by the overuse of oxycontin among elderly adults who have been neglecting their health lately. There is nothing to worry about in case of these side effects unless they are not under control even after a few minutes.
The symptoms being treated by Oxycodone mostly show results in a few days or so. In case it doesn’t subside, call a doctor right away and get yourself checked before taking any further doses. There are side effects albeit, but nothing to worry about usually manifests itself through the dosage.