The bustling city unfolds below us as we wake up each morning to tightly packed routines and on time schedules with quotas that we have to meet and plans that we have to finish. The world in the present day is busier than ever allowing you the bare minimum time to actually work on yourself. The days are shorter and tightly wound with everyday a new quota to fill and thus self health is often neglected until something really bad comes up. Usually the constant stress and the tension invokes certain chemicals and hormones in our system which in turn has an ugly effect on our body, one such being the risk of high blood pressure. High blood pressure usually would arise due to restrictions in the easy flow of blood to the heart caused by blocked or narrowed arteries or blood vessels and then there are the modern day medications that help you get out of tough situations as such with ease and simplicity.
One such medicine is the lisinopril which falls under the drug category ACE inhibitors. ACE stands for angiotensin converting enzyme where angiotensin is described as a peptide hormones present in our body that causes blood vessels to narrow down or constrict therefore causing a high blood pressure situation. Angiotensin converting enzyme which helps you relax your blood vessel. This medicine prevents the outburst of a certain enzyme that would encourage the angiotensin to narrow the blood vessel and therefore controls the high blood pressure situation.
Lisinopril is the generic name with the lisinopril brand name being zestril and prinvil. This medicinal drug helps you treat high blood pressure situations along with heart attack or heart failure due to congestion and even lowers the risks of sudden cardiac arrest or improves surviving techniques right after a massive heart attack.
LISINOPRIL DRUG BENEFITS:
Before we move on to the benefits let’s take a look into how exactly does this medicine work for us. We would start with the blood vessels and arteries that connect the body and the heart together bridging the gap between the brain and the heart as well. These very blood vessels are hollow from the inside allowing free blood in your body to flow in and out of the heart thereby maintaining stability. Now due to issues varied, possibly a disorder or simply fat blockage, these vessels narrow down the inside hollow through which the blood is supposed to be flowing and in turn causes a situation that we call high blood pressure which if ignored can even result in nasty heart attacks. Hence, in this section we talk about how this ACE inhibitor drug lisinopril helps us stabilize such conditions with ease.
Given below is the list of benefits that it can help us starting with the obvious-
- High blood pressure: high blood pressure is caused by the narrowing of the vessels that constrict the free blood flow thereby building up pressure points within the blood that react differently if the situation prolongs or persists for long. Hence we use the drug lisinopril with the brand name zestril or Prinvil to treat high blood pressure situations where the medicine prevents the production of the enzyme that creates narrowing of the vessels situation. By doing so, it stabilizes the blood pressure.
- Artery or vessel blockage: artery or vessel clogging is the same source with which the possibility of high blood pressure arises. However, this blockage can be due to a lot of issues including fat accumulation within the artery and once again we can use lisinopril to treat such demands.
- Reduces risks of cardiac arrest: lisinopril uses its benefits to actually prevent possibilities of sudden heart attacks. Usually too much blood pressure or too many clogged arteries within the heart may be a suitable reason for a quick heart attack to arise and to prevent this we can use the lisinopril drug.
- Diabetic and kidney diseases: often certain high blood pressure situation would cause a toll on your diabetes or your kidney stirring up trouble there too and to contain that here we have the lisinopril drug to keep us stabilized.
- CHF: CHF is congestive heart failure which is a dire situation that arises in your body where it may occur that the heart has stopped working. In this situation the heart fails to pump enough blood to suit the body’s requirement and in all seriousness causes angina pains, shortness of breath and suffers a heavy risk of cardiac arrest on spot. This disorder too can be treated with lisinopril as the drug medication.
HOW TO USE LISINOPRIL:
Lisinopril would usually be prescribed to you by your doctor after evaluating a few points such as your age, weight, demographics and of course any sort of laboratory tests if taken. Based on your results your doctor will prescribe to you the whole deal along with the consumption technique and the dosage units with the intervals.
The lisinopril is strictly to be taken in orally and you can ask your doctor about the consumption medium. Usually you can avail this drug in the form of pills or oral suspension. However, at all point one must strictly stick to the prescribed dosage and should never go beyond the guidelines since these doses if overly done can cause adverse effects. The pill should be taken in with a full glass of water without biting or chewing it down. Never break the pill into two since the raw inactive ingredients within it can cause immediate overdose or trouble in the long run. For the oral suspension, shake the bottle well before use and always use a measuring spoon to deduce the proper measurement.
The lisinopril drug is usually prescribed once a day strictly where the full dose is taken in at once. You can either choose to have it with food or without food based on what you doctor prescribed.
LISINOPRIL DRUG DOSAGE:
The lisinopril dosage will strictly be guided to you by your concerned doctor based on your age, weight and medical requirement. Usually it is for the best that you start off initially with the lowest dose if you are not particularly gelled in with this medicine. With time you can higher the dose if need be and eventually settle down for full doses. Also for geriatric or pediatric doses, the dosage unit should be kept flexible since they are more prone to reacting to this.
The base dosage unit for this starts with lisinopril 2.5mg for congestive heart failure. This is a full adult dose at its base unit and should be taken once a day regularly at the correct time. Keep a good hour gap in between the medicine and the meal and never lie down right away. For myocardial infarction the base dose is kept at lisinopril 5mg which too is a regular dose and should be taken in once a day every day. Now for adult doses regarding hypertension the base dose can be set at lisinopril 10mg once again one time a day regularly. These daily doses on ineffective result can be increased one step at a time with the maximum dose being 40mg orally once a day regularly.
For a pediatric hypertension dose the base unit is 0.07mg which with age can be increased to maximum of 20mg a day which is quite a high dose for a child. For the geriatric dose, the base dose can be set at 2.5 to 5 and can be increased up to 40mg on a daily dose.
This medication should strictly be in the to-avoid list of a pregnant woman. During your pregnancy especially the last two trimesters, your body carrying your fetus is quite active and a medicinal dose of this drug can often cause withdrawal symptoms along with fetus injury whilst within your womb. As soon as you plan pregnancy strictly stop the medication.
However, you as a patient should not stop the medication all of a sudden. Your body is used to this powerful drug and the sudden lack of it may cause counter reactions such as convulsions and frothing. To avoid this condition, lower your doses a bit by bit until you are ready to stop the medication altogether.
Also, this medication is a strict no to children below 6 years of age and even for children below 12 years, the dosage should be kept at minimum.
INTERACTIONS WITH OTHER MEDICINES:
Interaction with other drugs would usually mean the current drug combines or clubs with a secondary drug presence in your body and as a result a heavy concoction is formed which indeed is bad for your health since it may cause adverse effects.
Furnish a report of your medical history to your doctor so that he knows what best to prescribe to you. some common interactions that are harmful are allergy medications that react a lot with these medicines. Also, if you are taking a diabetic dose or renal dose, consult your doctor regarding the usage of this medicine.
Before going in for a surgery, the surgery prep should also be warned about the presence of this drug in your system.
LISINOPRIL DRUG SIDE EFFECTS:
Side effects pertain to each and every drug much like the flip sides of a coin. If there is a list of pros there will always be a list of cons to back up the pros and hence we conclude the article with a list of side effects that might be a hassle for you while consuming this drug on course. For some, these side effects may be negligible or may not even occur ever, but different people react differently to medications and often there may exist a dominant side of the side effects. Given below is the list of lisinopril side effects that you should keep an eye out on.
- Alopecia: alopecia is a condition which can be recognized as a side effect where a person starts losing their hair adamantly and in an uncouth way which may leave bald spots on an otherwise healthy head full of hair. This should be curbed at the basic stage before the condition worsens into bald spots.
- Psoriasis: psoriasis is a form of skin infection where the skin starts scaling or flaking and may cause painful blisters and reddening rashes. This is important since psoriasis if prolonged may cause adverse effects, this itself being a rampant side effect.
- Angina pain: angina pain or chest pains may occur too if you are either on a lower dose than your requirement or if you are simply overdosing. Angina pain can also be associated with early signs of an oncoming cardiac attack and therefore measures accordingly should be taken.
- Allergy reactions: allergy reactions such as swelling of face or neck or even hands with difficulty in breathing or wheezing feelings may persist.
Change in behavior: change in behavior in the form of increased irritability or lack of concentration may persist and it can take worse turns with nervousness or forgetfulness. This is a strict overdosing sign and should be persistently stopped.
- Urination difficulty: difficulty in passing urine may persist along with slight burning sensations every time you go to relief yourself. Urination for some may be difficult in the levels of less frequency as well.
These are however not so common side effects the common ones being slight fever with chills, extreme feelings of fatigue or nausea which may even result in day time sleeping or vomiting for the beginners whose body is yet to get used to this medicine.
High blood pressure is naturally a stressful situation when the blood flow requires the constricted blood vessels to open up so that they can flow at the same rate or speed without facing hindrance and to work to achieve this level, medications like lisinopril exists.