What more do we women need to worry about apart from the acne, sudden breakouts and black heads? Now we have the freckles! Freckles are those tiny brown spots on your face that are small, most of gem sized. Over exposure to the sun leads to the freckles on your arms, skin and shoulders. Women with fair skin are more prone to freckles that is typically an increase in melanin production. UV rays from the sun leads to increase in melanin production on certain skin cells, leading to the many dot like spots on your face and arms, that sharply stand out from your usual skin colour. In order to provide maximum protection from the rays, there is an excess production of melanin. On the contrary, they when it reaches a certain limit, it leads to the formation of freckles.
Freckles are easily curable with the many home-made remedies that are aimed at reducing them. Watch out for these symptoms.
- Light tan or brown spots on the areas exposed to the sun.
- Small dot sized freckles on the less pigmented individuals.
- In case you develop coloured or pigmented spots, bring it to the attention of your dermatologist. Such spots could be detrimental.
Freckles usually develop on fair skin, especially on those with red hair. Very rarely, they also affect darker skin types. Freckles are known to form on the less pigmented areas and hence are less likely to affect dark, black or light brown skin. However, do watch out for the symptoms. Freckles have melanocytes that will lead to over production of melanin granules.
Freckles usually appear on the face, although the areas exposed to the sun are also equally affected. The UV rays are responsible for the production of the freckles. Constant or over exposure to sun is the leading reason, for them to appear on the skin, as brown dots. Hence, it is easily visible on fair skin people. Also, it has been observed those with red hair or blonde, lighter skin tone and exposed to skin, are more prone to freckles. However, this does not mean that two people with same characteristics have the same intensity of freckles, thus enabling a possibility of genetic connection.
Why Do They Appear?
The main reason for a freckle to appear is the exposure to Sun. The UV rays of the Sun makes the melanocytes make more melanin. This essentially causes freckles to appear on the skin.
They are however not harmful and are seen to reduce with age.
Top Remedies to Get Rid of Skin Freckles:
Some of the safest bets to treat freckles is to rely on the many home remedies to treat them. Take a look at the magic portion you can make using the simplest of ingredients from your kitchen.
Honey is usually used in combination with yogurt to treat freckles. Honey brings natural radiance to the skin. Yogurt has lactic acid, that will help to lighten the freckles. Both together, will make a rich mask to get rid of freckles from your face. Here’s how you can make use of it.
- Mix honey and yogurt together in a bowl and apply the mask on your clean face.
- Leave it for about 15 minutes, until completely dry and wash off with cold water.
- Remember to use this mask once, every day until you see visible improvements.
- This easy to do mask does is an attested effective face mask for freckles.
Did you know that you could treat freckles with the help of eggplant? The vitamins A, B and E and the many anti-oxidant properties in it will help cure and lighten the freckles on your face. Make a powerful face mask with eggplant in just three steps.
- Use a slice of fleshy egg plant and rub it on the spot for about 2 to 3 minutes.
Allow the juice to stay on for about 15 minutes. Follow it up by cleaning with luke warm water.
- Use the eggplant every day to see visible reduction and lightening of your skin from the freckles.
C. Castor oil:
another quick way to treat freckles is with the help of castor oil. Castor oil will ensure your skin is hydrated and it is absorbed into the skin, thereby helping to lighten the spots and reduce pigmentation. Here’s one way to use castor oil for freckles.
- Apply few drops of oil on the affected area and leave it overnight.
- In the morning, wipe with a tissue and wash with cool water.
- Use castor oil daily, before going to bed to see quick results.
Amla contains ellagic and gallic acid. Both these are known to lighten the skin tone and prohibits the melanin formation. For best results, you can use amla powder that is easily available in the stores or make a homemade amla powder, by drying the amla in sun and when completely dry, make a powder and store in air tight container.
- Take one or two teaspoons of amla powder and mix in water to make a paste.
- Apply this mask on the face or the spots area on your body and leave it for 10 minutes to dry.
- Wash off with cool water.
For best results, use the pack once in every 3 days.
E. Banana Peel:
before you throw away a banana peel next time, take a look at how it can help you with freckles. The banana peel contains anti-aging and skin lightening properties in the gluconolactone, one that is found in the peel of the banana. The peel is also known for skin tightening properties and keeps it looking young. Take a look at how you can use it.
- Rub the peel of banana on the affected area and leave it for about 10 minutes.
- Wash off with cool water and part dry.
For visible and effective result, use this daily once.
Buttermilk has lactic acid, that will help in lightening the spots on your skin. It is also best used for dry skin for a hydrated effect. The application and use are rather simple.
- Apply buttermilk directly on the spots and leave it for about 10 minutes.
- Wash off with cool water.
To get the best results and a visibly lighter tone, use daily, twice.
this must be new for you! Here is something you didn’t know about horseradish. They contain vitamin C, and the vitamin is known to fight acne and lighten the darker spots. They are therefore effective when having to fade the freckles off your skin, whether face or hands. Here is how you can use it.
- Grate horseradish to half a cup and to it and blend it well.
- Use a cotton swab to apply the juice on the affected area.
- Leave it on for about 15 minutes.
You can store the juice in fridge and use it every day for best results.
Another easiest DIY recipe for treating freckles easily at home is making use of yogurt. Yogurt has lactic acid and this property will help in exfoliating the skin and helping to remove the dark skin cells. It will work its way from the surface of the skin and give you a radiant and lighter skin tone and will tighten the skin pores. Here is how to use it.
- Use 1/4th cup of yogurt mixed with a squeeze of lemon juice. Lemon juice will clean the clogged skin pores.
- Mix well and apply the mixture on the affected area. Leave it for about 20 minutes and wash off with cool water.
Use this mask every alternate day to get the best results out of it.
do we really need to tell you the goodness of lemon and how it can help your skin? The go-get remedy for every skin problem is the lemon. The citrus property of lemon will cleanse the skin by unlocking the clogged pores. Its natural bleaching property is another added advantage.
- Squeeze the juice out of the lemon and apply it on the affected areas.
- Leave it to dry well and wash off with cool water.
Use lemon juice to treat freckles every day. In case you have a sensitive skin, add some honey to reduce the impact of the acidic content of lemon.
Apart from the many home remedies, you can also adopt other strategies to get rid of freckles off your skin. However, this depends on the severity of the issue and should be checked with a dermatologist.
- Sunscreen: The best way to prevent freckles from appearing on your skin is to dab some sunscreen on those areas that are exposed to the skin. An SPF of 30 or higher is ideal and helpful. Remember to apply them at least 15 minutes prior to stepping out of your home, so that the essentials are imbibed by the skin. Applying sunscreen every two hours is also required of you are serious getting rid of it.
- Cryosurgery: Consult a doctor before you step up to make a decision on your own. The technique is, excess cold is supplied to the skin in the form of liquid nitrogen to destroy the skin cells. It is a safe process and does not need a long time to recover. No anaesthesia is supplied to the person and is an easy process. However, watch out for bleeding, hyperpigmentation or blistering that can occur as an off shoot of the process.
- Laser Treatment: The other commonly resorted method is the laser treatment. It uses intense light to fade the dark areas. They have been effective in curing freckles and a huge success rate has been reported. However, it is strictly advised to get a word from your dermatologist before you proceed any further.
- Peeling: Chemical peels are also used to exfoliate the dead cells in the damages areas. The glycolic acid usually penetrates into the skin to remove the freckles. The new skin is grown after the damaged ones have been peeled off. Watch out for irritation, redness, crusting and swelling that are potential side effects of peeling.
Creams for Freckles
There are a range of fading creams to treat freckles. They are available as a prescription or you can simply go and ask for one. These creams contain hydroquinone, that is known to restrict and supress the melanin production in the skin, and thereby lighten the darker areas of the skin. Watch out for inflammation, burning or dryness, as hydroquinone is known to have side effects on sensitive skin.
Check out some of the effective creams for freckles, that needs to be consulted with your doctor prior to use.
1. Organyc Skin Brightening Cream:
it contains goodness of grape and alpine plant extract. The cream helps to supress the melanin production, one that is responsible for freckles. The tea extracts, jojoba oil, pepper mint extract along with other natural ingredients are necessary for a healthy looking bright skin. It is priced at 795 INR for 30 ml.
2. Palmer’s Skin Success:
Palmer’s is enriched with vitamins and sunscreen, thus making it a multi-purpose cream. The AHA and retinol in it will provide anti-ageing benefits while adding radiance to the skin. It also effectively fades out the freckles with regular use and even out your skin’s tone. The cream has a slight fragrance to it. It is priced at 550 INR for 75 grams.
3. Olay Prox:
Olay Prox even skin tone spot fading treatment is known to work effectively on freckles and even out the skin. The exfoliating formula will remove the dead skin and thus lighten the spots. It is made using the ProX technology, that will give a glow to the skin and works its way to fading the marks. It is priced at 3824 INR for 40 ml. Olay ProX is one of their best-selling cream.
4. Aveeno Active Naturals Clear Complexion:
this multi-purpose cream to fade your freckles will also hydrate your skin. It has soy complex and salicylic acid that will moisturize the skin and prevent any pimples or marks. It can be used by people of all skin types and is oil free. The cream also a has a mild scent, but not too strong and hence can be used by people with sensitive skin too. It is priced at 1889 INR for 118 ml.
5. Clinique Even Better Clinical Dark Spot Corrector:
this is probably the costliest of all but it claims to show result in just about 4 weeks. Upon regular use, the spots fade away, but way of absorbing the cream into the skin and working effectively. The light weight consistency makes it a good option for your skin. It is priced at 6247 INR for 30ml.
Home remedies are your safest bets. They are 100% safe and have produced successful results. However, if the freckles are severe, consult your doctor and seek the right strategy to treat them. Creams are of great help too, provided you know which one is good for you. But the bottom line is they are common among many people and are usually not harmful. However, many of them want to get rid of it, owing to the dream of a flawless skin. Try out the safest methods and make your way into a flawless and supple skin.