Clobazam, known as Onfi by its common name is a medication that alongside other medicines is usually put to use to control seizures. It is a drug that belongs to the class of medicines also known as Benzodiazepines. The medication when prescribed, works on the brain and the nerves, hence basically on the central nervous system on a whole. Producing a calming effect, the drug enhances the effects of GABA, a natural chemical of the body. This is turn, increases the blood flow and heart rate back to normal and thus stops the seizure form becoming a further threat to the human body where it is administered. The benefits also include keeping the stress of the body reduced until it gets normal on a whole.
HOW TO USE CLOBAZAM:
Unless it is time to get a refill, do not leave your prescription usage details unattended. The medicine is to be taken on a whole with or without food by the mouth, as asked by your physician. The liquid form of the medicine requires that you shake the bottle well before use. The dose is to be carefully measured by a measuring cap or syringe. When Clobazam tablet is being taken, it may either be taken with applesauce with water. The spoon at your home should not be used as a medium to measure the size of your dose as this can lead to troubling consequences as well as risk overdose.
If the medicine is to be taken once each day by the patient, make sure it is either when you wake up or right before you go to bed. In case the dosage is divided through the day, the largest of them is to be administered right before going to bed. Based on your body’s response, the medicine dose can be treated. It may bring about a change in your weight as well. Keep an eye on that. Take it at the same time each day to avoid the risks of forgetting it. The medicine rarely causes withdrawal symptoms, but it would still be wise to not stop the dosage right away, but instead done gradually and if reports of withdrawal are noticed, your doctor might suggest other medicines to counteract that.
It isn’t likely that you will develop an addiction of Clobazam, however to do that make sure to not use the drug unless prescribed. Do not use the medicine longer than needed either. Stop the medication as and when directed. If you have been using the drug as directed, not chewing or splitting into half, report to your doctor if there has been no benefits in the long time that you have been taking the drug.
Usual Adult Dose for Lennox-Gastaut Syndrome:
Initial daily dose is usually prescribed as per the body weight of the patient-
- If body weight is at least 30 kg or less, Clobazam 5 mg is given to the patient orally each day
- In case body weight is more than 30 kg, Clobazam 10 mg is administered to the patient daily
Dose after 7 days-
- Body weight when 30 kg or less, Clobazam 10 mg is given to patient orally per day
- If body weight more than 30 kg, Clozabazam 20 mg is given once daily
After 14 day dose if weight is up to 30 kg is 20 mg orally each day is given and 40 mg once daily is given if weight is more than 30 kg.
For a dose more than Clobazam 5 mg, a divided dose is recommended. Daily dose should initially be limited to 10 mg/ day for a week as maximum.
Usual Geriatric Dose for Lennox-Gastaut Syndrome:
Divided into 3 doses, the initial dose, the maintenance dose and the maximum dose, the medicine is given as Clobazam 5 mg daily orally for initial dose. For the maintenance dose, titrated dosage of 10 mg to 20 mg is given per day to the patient. For the maximum dose, Clobazam 20 mg to 40 mg is administered to the patient orally per day as per his weight, as decided by the doctor. This dose usually starts after 3 weeks of initial and maintenance dose.
Usual Pediatric Dose for Lennox-Gastaut Syndrome:
For 2 years or older, the dosage is given as per body weight.
For initial Dosage-
- If weight is less than or up to 30 kg, Clobazam 5 mg is given orally per day
- If weight is more than 30 kg, Clobazam 10 mg is given as divided dose dailyAfter 7 Days, Maintenance Dose-
- If weight is less than or up to 30 kg, Clobazam 10 mg is given orally each day
- If weight is more than 30 kg, 20 mg is given orally dailyAfter 2 Weeks, Maximum Dose-
- For body weight up to 30 kg or less, Clobazam 20 mg is given daily orally
For body weight of 30 kg or more, 40 mg is given orally each day
Overdose and Missed Dose:
If adverse reactions are noted after an overdose, a call to the poison control center should be carried out right away. The center will work on the dose and try to reverse it as effectively as other. To prevent overdose, do not give away your medicine dose to others. It might so be your condition is different and needs a varying dose much like the other person needs a different dose.
For a missed dose, the medicine should be taken right away when remembered. However, there is no choice but to skip if you are close to your next dose. Resume the next dosage and talk to your doctor about when to catch up with the previous dose. Do not double up the dose as Clobazam side effects aren’t too pleasing and can get out of hand in case of an over dosage.
Light and moisture should be completely avoided when it comes to drugs like Clobazam. Neither should medicines like Clobazam be stored in the bathroom or places where there’s too little light. Medicines should be kept away from children and pets.
Do not flush medicines and discard them properly once the expiry date has arrived. You can always contact the local disposal company personally for added precaution. Do not burn off the medicine.
- While Clobazam dosage is relatively safe when kept in control, as it doesn’t lead to sudden withdrawal symptoms from the medication, unlike other medicines when it has been a long-term therapy.
- Take the medicine on a whole and inform your doctor right away in case there is an allergy, which bring us to the next most important thing.
- Do check out the contents to determine if you are allergic to the medication in any way. Continue using only if deemed safe for you.
- Let your doctor know about your medical history and infections of all sorts, any deficiency in the body and blood shouldn’t be neglected either.
- Clobazam is a corticosteroid and its long use can make it difficult for your body to deal with stress. This can lead to gaining weight, so consult your physician about if you should exercise or not.
- Don’t forget to mention your medicine condition when you are about to undergo a surgery even if it is as unrelated as a dental one.
- Any infection can get worse so do ensure you stay away from affected people when you are under medication.
- Use the product overall safely. Don’t flush it down without caution if not needed.
- Check expiry date well before consumption.
- Sometimes, vaccines might prove to be ineffective because of the medication, hence prevent the immunization appointment schedules during this time.
- Hormones can go for a leap and get worse if you already have a condition. Keep visiting the consulting physician regularly.
- When pregnant, a thorough safe check might be necessary as it passes down the blood. Discussing all the risks and weighing out the benefits would be a good idea before you hastily decide the medication is apt for your condition all by yourself. Remember your child is still growing and you don’t want to put him in danger in his developmental phase. You ought to get his height and hair checked every now and then.
- Although the medication passed down through the breast milk, it is not likely to affect your child in a sever way, but a check wouldn’t do much harm just to be sure.
- The medication might lead to undesirable results with your birth control pills and should hence be spoken to the doctor about.
Drug interactions interact with the way your medicine work and hence put you to risk for serious side effects. Not all drug interactions can be listed, however, Clobazam being a prescription drug is relatively high on interactions, which is why it is advisable that you don’t change the dosage or add new medication with the drug without consulting your doctor and getting an approval.
- A few of the medical product that are known to interact with Clobazam are Sodium Oxybate, Fluconazole, Fluvoxamine. This drugs can cause bleeding internally if taken along with the medicine, making it difficult for Clobazam to work. NSAIDs such as celecoxib and ibuprofen are in the list of medicines to be avoided as well.
- Your doctor also needs to known about your medicines if what you are taking in causes drowsiness as a side effect or contains alcohol. Certain medications like antihistamines, herbal medications, medicines for anxiety and sleep, muscle relaxants, pain relievers and psychiatric medicines are to be avoided. The common names that come up in the list are diphenhydramine, kava, alprazolam, codeine, nefazodone, trazodone and so on. Allergy and cough syrups are to be taken with caution as well. The onfi drug also needs to not be taken alongside the likes of birth control pills or rings, as either of the drugs may stop working effectively.
The Interactions of Clobazam are of 3 Types:
Moderate, Serious and Severe:
- For moderate interactions of Clobazam, the medication may cause some risk, however if your healthcare center gives an okay, the medications together mean no harm.
- For serious interactions with other medications, Clobazam dosage can cause harmful side effects and is hence should not be allowed without doctor supervision at all times.
- Severe Clobazam interactions cause fatal side effects and are these medicines are never taken together. Get in touch with your professional pharmacist to know more about the formation of interactive compounds and their health risks.
- There are, like most medicines, issues like nausea, vomiting, sleeping troubles, excessive sweating, and appetite loss with acne associated as Clobazam side effects. Seeing your pharmacist right away will benefit you and reduce the side effects promptly. He or she will weigh out the risks and side effects. Serious side effects aren’t usually reported; however, get your issues noted down to notice discrepancies if any.
- A few other severe symptoms include health issues like pain, irregular heartbeat, swelling of body parts, gain of weight, blurred vision, blackened stool, mood changes, bone weakness, thinning of skin.
- The medicine can lead to painful urination as a first sign of issues. Do get in touch with your doctor in such cases.
Clobazam has side effects, a one too many for that record. However, even though existent, they are not too severe and can be easily managed if needed. Adverse conditions can always be avoided if the drug is taken exercising caution. It is a safe drug when prescribed. A little prevention will of course go out the way to keep you away from useless hassles. Allow the doses to set in and the medicine will work in its best efficiency.