Fevers and chills are as common as anything in today’s world. The over population has finally driven pollution to such a point that even with billions of people swarming around, the pollution quotient never really decreases thereby making possibilities of common colds and flu easy. Inadvertently every year during the seasonal changes, there is always one friend or a family member who gets sick vigorously thereby spreading the sickness all throughout the group one by one. At certain times it is simply the young age low immunity factor or the elderly weakness that brings about the flu in their system. at around this time body soreness or knee joint swelling is a common factor and for that, every time we experience these, we reach out to our medicine cabinet and pull out a strip of aspirin to aid us during these sickly days.
Aspirin is such a household name these days that it doesn’t even require a secondary thought. Mainly used for the headache that we always seem to concur at the end of a work day, aspirin would definitely be classified as a household salicylate drug that is analgesic in nature, as in, it helps reduce pain and chills and possibly the fever if any along with it. this is mainly why aspirin is treated more of a pain cure medicinal drug that not only comes handy during sore night fevers but also for the elderly who constantly suffer from bone pain or joint swelling. Aspirin is also anti- inflammatory in nature and therefore if you ever fall off a cycle ride and bring back home a swollen scratched elbow, aspirin would be the ideal thing to reach out for.
Toothache, common cold, sport injury, arthritis and even after surgeries as a blood thinner drug, aspirin can also be used for treating angina or chest pains. However for cardiovascular related issues, strictly keep a doctor’s guidance nearby.
Aspirin Drug Uses & Benefits:
A medicine that you can always find lying around in your medicine cabinet, aspirin will be the only call for help the first time you walk in your house with a sore body part. Aspirin is deemed to be an expert at relieving body pain and soreness and if that’s not all, to add the cherry to the cake top, aspirin also provides anti inflammation which allows you to get rid of the blotchiness or swelling thereby being an all rounder for your painful days.
Its benefits to prevent the proliferation of a certain hormone that would encourage the pain and swelling to occur. By preventing the hormone through mild regulation, aspirin therefore reduces pain and swelling. Given below is the list of all the times, aspirin has benefitted us and how:
- Cold Sores and Headache Cure: common cold sores can lead up to headache which is the same case for headache relating to migraine pains. Often at times cold sore causes runny nose and a mild inflammation be it a sore throat or a sore ear. At around this time a dose of aspirin would keep your swelling and pain at bay.
- Sport Injuries: sport enthusiasts have faced many such accidental sport injuries in the past and for the minor ones that do not require a rush to the hospital you can simply treat it at home using aspirin as an aid. Often the minor ones would have you worries about a red blotched swelled area with striking pain and a few scratches and all this can be tackled using aspirin.
- Old age Remedial Relief: old age and joint pains go hand in hand. With the passing age as you cross the mid life threshold a few sore spots may occur in your body, possibly the small of the back or the left knee or simply rheumatic arthritis. Swelling too is common if left untreated for long and once again we know what medicine to reach out to for immediate relief.
- Blood Thinner: often doctor’s after a bypass surgery would recommend to you this household drug. Aspirin prevents blood clotting and therefore is used as a “blood thinner” to avoid further blood clogging problems.
Reduces cardiac arrest possibilities: angina pains are the earliest and the mild signs of an oncoming stroke or cardiac arrest. Now aspirin keeps angina pains at bay and removes blood clots from arteries and vessels thereby also reducing stroke possibilities.Periodontal problems sorted: a sore gum and toothache is a story every small child will share with you. when the gum pain gets too hard to tolerate, simply give him a small dose of aspirin to keep his gum and tooth problem in control.
Anti-inflammation at its best: apart from relieving pain, aspirin is anti-inflammatory in nature allowing it also cure redness, swells and blotched areas in your body.
- Anti-Platelet in Nature: aspirin would eliminate clogs in your blood making it anti-platelet in nature.
now not many people knew this but a low dose aspirin mixed with heparin drug can actually help you eliminate possibilities of miscarriage during pregnancy. As mentioned above, aspirin prevents blood clot thereby allowing pregnant women to reduce miscarriage risks. However, consult the dose with your doctor strictly before consumption.
How to Use:-
Usually aspirin is quite homely and need not always require a doctor’s approval if you already know your dosage unit. However, if you still have been prescribed by your doctor about the way of intake, make sure you follow the protocol well. If there is a problem regarding the dosage unit quickly consult a doctor.
Most of the time, aspirin is consumed orally and comes in the form of aspirin tablet even though the new ones can also be purchased in extended tablet and capsulated forms. Aspirin is usually taken after food, a gap in between so that your stomach doesn’t work empty handed eliminating causes of side effects. However, if you are advised by your doctor to consume it empty stomach, please follow the bidding.
A glass of water is enough for you to swallow down the tablet without chewing on it. even for the capsules, ensure you never bite down or chew the medicine. Once you do, the entire contents of the medicine opens up all at once increasing the risk for side effects almost by 70%. It is always hassle free to just gulp it down with enough water. Also, it is best that you do not lie down right after consuming the medicine and if you are entitled to take this medicine more than once a day, make sure you time the intervals with plenty gap in between for each dose to work its best without possibilities of overdosing.
Also, do not overdo with this medication. Every time you have a headache do not just pop in a pill since this can adjust your body to a slight addiction. The same can be said for other uses. Once the pain and swelling goes away which should be by the second or third day, immediately stop.
Aspirin Drug Dosage:
Often we ourselves are the judge of the dose of aspirin we decide to intake. Aspirin dosage varies for different pain remedies and should always be consulted by a doctor if we are taking elderly or children into fact. Children and elderly both need a subtle dose, especially if your child is still an infant. Elderly too has a hard time trying to find compatibility with too heavy a dosage.
Usually the dosage for an aspirin may range from 6000mg to a subtle 50mg. 50 mg is the basic dose for the kids while 6000mg should strictly be doctor prescribed. In between you can deal with 75mg for the basic or initial dosage. You can also avail aspirin 81mg chewable tablet which needs to be chewed well before gulping.
Usually for minor or major pain relief the dosage unit varies from aspirin 350mg to 650mg for every five to six hours based on the complication or the medical requirement. For preventing angina or chest pains, the aspirin dosage should be around 160 to aspirin 325mg. this is however not a daily dose and can be taken only on emergency situations. For a daily dose keep the unit limited within 71 to 100mg.
For bone or joint pain like arthritis, the dosage is a bit higher much inclined towards aspirin500mg, this is an initial dosage and can be worked up to even a 1000mg.
If you’re prescribing aspirin to a child, it is important that you measure the aspirin dosage very carefully or better yet, consult a doctor who will prescribe to you the right dose. Overdosing on aspirin can cause fatal affects.
Also, before going in for surgery, make sure your surgeon knows about your aspirin intake dosage, especially if it’s a heart surgery.
As soon as your pain or swelling ends, immediately stop the usage. If the pain persists even after consuming aspirin for the third day, consult a doctor, never linger with aspirin for too long.
If as a part of your heart cure remedy, you are told to consume aspirin every day, make sure other steroids or drugs are not in the way of your medicine. Even for minor allergy medicines, consult a doctor about taking them both since it might react with the allergy medicine.
If you have the following diseases and are taking medicines to curb them, consult your doctor before taking aspirin:
- Blood disorders
- Inward ulcers
Interaction with other Medicines:
Since aspirin itself is considered a blood thinner, other blood thinners already prescribed to you might react badly with this drug, hence keep away from heparin or warfarin unless prescribed and approved by the doctor. The same can be said for other inflammation control medicines like ibuprofen since aspirin within itself is also an anti-inflammation drug.
Also if you are using external steroids please keep away from aspirin since external steroids are not compatible and mixing them both will cause a bad side effect, possibly fatal. While you’re at it also keep away from herbal products that you might consume while working through the course of aspirin.
ACE inhibitors like benazepril or moexipril also react with aspirin as does medications for diabetes.
If you are already working on a course of cardiac cure remedies or arthritis medicines, popping in an aspirin is probably a very bad idea. Consult the doctor before taking things into your own hands.
Aspirin Drug Side Effects:
Every drug has a possible side effect. There is a pro and con to everything and the same can be said in case of aspirin. Even though this is quite a homely drug, it is possible that you overdose on the drug or simply the fact that the drug is not entirely compatible with your body. Also, if it’s you or your child’s first time with this drug, the body may or may not show some side effect to it, which is the body’s way of recognizing foreign substance.
Even though many of these side effects are not serious in nature and may stop along with the medication but at times it is required that you rush to the doctor in case of serious side effect.
- Nausea and Dizziness: nausea and dizziness is one of the common side effects of aspirin. This especially occurs if you are a first timer to this drug or if you’re overdosing on the drug. Your body lets you know about the overdosing in the form of dizziness or drowsiness. Nausea can even result in vomiting and you know it’s serious if you’re vomiting up blood.
- Skin Rash: skin rash is yet another side effect to aspirin which might start with slight discoloration of skin and might end in rashes and itching. This usually signifies that the drug is not gelling in well with your system and you should immediately put a stop to it.
- Stomach Upset: stomach upset too can be a form of aspirin side effect where immediately after consuming the drug you feel your stomach rumbling or groaning. Consult your doctor in case you wish to continue with this drug.
- Fatigue and Blurry Vision: tiredness and lethargy will be felt which is one of the most common form of side effect and is not really seen as a threat. Fatigue is natural and not a concern, but blurring of vision or ringing of ears after consuming the drug will definitely be taken as a bad sign. Once again ask for your doctor’s approval or reduce the dose to a minimum.
Swelling: even though this is an anti-inflammatory drug, swelling definitely can be a counter reaction to aspirin. This includes swelling of feet or arms, joints and even the neck and the face. Sometimes this is looked upon as a former sign of allergy telling you this medication is not suiting your body. Stop in case there is swelling.
- Blood in your stools: passing blood in your stool is a sign of you overdosing on the drug. Since it is a natural blood thinner and prevents clots, too much of aspirin in your system would definitely result in your passing blood.
- Cold Chills and Sweating: cold chills and clammy sweaty hands and feet is yet another side effect to this drug.
- Breathing difficulty and heart palpitations: aspirin side effects also include wheezing, suffocation and difficulty in breathing which should not be taken as a healthy sign. Immediately rush to the doctor. If you are experiencing heart palpitations along with it, it s a must that you concern your doctor about continuation.
Here in this article, we have highlighted the pros and cons to taking the medicine aspirin. Along with the benefits and short comings we have also enlisted the best dosage units, alarming facts, precautions and even the interactions.