The thing with high blood pressure is that, it is quite a common affair in today’s world where the constant strain and even more strenuous lifestyle have always kept us running on our heels. The busy schedule keeps us active to the point where even a lazy Sunday afternoon has us dusting and cleaning the house toiling away for the next week to come. In a situation as such it is quite natural for a person’s pressure stature to deflect thereby resulting in either low or high blood pressure. In high blood pressure, the blood flowing through the nerves repeatedly starts to flow at a much higher rate than usual therefore creating a pressure situation in your body and mainly to tackle this situation here is one such drug that will prove your worth. It’s called amlodipine.
Many a time the reason for the high blood pressure is the narrowing of the blood vessel which carries it thereby giving a limited space for the blood to flow creating a pressure situation. Amlodipine drug is known to widen these narrowed down blood vessels thereby creating a wide space for the blood to pass hence stabilizing the blood pressure. Even though this drug is strictly used to treat high blood pressure situations it is quite often noticed that even disorders like chest pains or cardiac issues can too be tackled by this drug. High blood pressure is the main problem that finds the best respite in this drug. With lowered blood pressure you as a patient are actually lessening the risks to a sudden cardiac arrest or a simple artery block due to clogged blood vessel and such.
Categorized under a group of drugs called the calcium channel blockers, amlodipine is fit both for children and adult use, however it is the usage or the dosage that varies along with age or body structure.
AMLODIPINE DRUG BENEFITS:
Amlodipine as discussed before helps you ease down on your blood pressure thereby helping you to move on with a stable life, one that wouldn’t result in sudden heart attacks or artery blockages. To know more about this drug here is a list of all the benefits this drug provides to us. However, before moving to the benefit here is a word of caution. This drug should only be used on prescription and should never be overdosed on. Overdosing of amlodipine may cause hazardous effects now or in the near future.
That said so here is the list of the benefits you can avail from this drug.
- Blood Pressure Control: as highly mentioned above, this drug is immediately brought into scene if anyone mentions a case of high blood pressure. Amlodipine actually benefits us by widening up the space through which the blood flows and thus the pressure knot is broken as the blood now flows freely.
- Increases Blood Flow: yet another benefit of this is prescription drug is the fact that it can increase the flow of blood thereby reducing the pressure. Whilst in a limited space it is difficult for the blood to freely flow through the narrow vessel creating a pressure area. With the space widened, the blood can now flow freely without hindrance thus stabilizing your pressure.
- Reduces Chances of Stroke: With high blood pressure, always know that there is always something that can bring you down, maybe a sudden stroke in the middle of the night or a simple artery clogging that would make breathing in fact quite difficult. Whilst controlling the pressure in the blood, this medicine also helps in reducing chances of a sudden cardiac arrest.
- Angina Pain Controller: Angina is a type of a chest pain which occurs when the heart experiences low blood flow. The usual symptoms for these are vital chest pain, chest muscle pain, difficulty in breathing leading to suffocative situations and much more. Amlodipine uses the blood to increase their flow whilst maintaining the pressure situations thereby helping chest pains at the worst times.
- Keeps Kidney Problems at Bay: kidney problems too are handled well by amlodipine. Much like the heart even the blood vessels of your kidney may experience high pressure and hence it may result in renal failure at its highest or simply possible pain surges at times. Here, using this medicine actually helps you tone down on the pressure of the blood thereby helping you keep kidney failure or related problems with the organ at bay.
- Free from Artery Clogging: artery clogging many a times not only occurs due to low blood supply or high blood pressure but also because of the accumulation of fats in and around the artery that lessens the area space for blood to move. Apart from regulating blood and its flow, it also ensures your arteries are free from obstruction by external agents.
HOW TO USE AMLODIPINE:
Based on your age, demographics and life style and medical requirement your doctor will prescribe to you the dosage or the unit to be consumed. Usually this is consumed orally only on the prescribed dosage. With the right amount of dosage you would soon see your problems of artery clogging or high blood pressure issues reducing greatly. Never cross the unit prescribed since overdosing can seriously affect you, even to the point of you having to lose your life to it.
An amlodipine dose should be consumed orally. Usually the doctor will advise you about how to consume the medicine, whether before or after food or simply without food.
If you’re prescription requires you to consume it more than twice a day, make sure you space out each dose with ample intervals for the doses to work without overlaying one another. Start with an initial dose and work your way up to a higher dose if need be but not until the doctor gives you a green signal for it. Also, make sure regular or daily consumption is maintained without skips to get the best of the benefits.
In case of an angina attack, make sure you revert back to some other medication instead of this for relief since it takes some time for this medication to show signs of improvement.
AMLODIPINE DRUG DOSAGE:
Usually amlodipine 2.5mg tablets are for the starters who are yet to get used to this medicine. At the initial stage your body may or may not react to the medicine and hence for the little children or the elderly patients, this is an ideal dose.
If there is no improvement even after the minimal dose, you can work your way up to a higher dose like amlodipine 5mg. the 5mg dose can be used to prevent angina pains from recurring along with treatment for hypertension. You can consume this once a day on a regular basis without any worry and once again if this dose is too less for you, work your way up to a higher dose. The higher dose would be amlodipine 10mg which is generally a bit high and therefore should be kept away from elders or children. Even if the child requires such a high dose, break down the doses into two or three segments.
Your dose will be determined by the doctor based on your medical requirement and therefore should you completely let your doctor guide you through the course. Never abuse this drug for sport.
For precautions if you have a prior case of allergy or is currently taking in allergy medications, your doctor should be well aware of them. This drug contains inactive ingredients and many a times allergic medications react with this drug causing counter effects or bad side effects or even worst allergies.
Before your doctor prescribes this medicine to you, make him aware of your medical history, any surgeries, the medicines that you take even for a common cold and flu and of course any sort of heart or cardiac regulatory medicines. All these medicines usually interact.
Also whilst during pregnancy, refrain from taking in this drug as this passes into the breast milk and might be harmful for the newborn who still hasn’t perfected his defense system.
INTERACTION WITH OTHER MEDICINES:
Amlodipine dose reacts with allergy medicines and therefore if you are currently doing a course on allergy medicines, you should either stop immediately or let your doctor know about the medication so that he can advice for the best.
Also heart medicines, liver and renal medicines should be taken in consultation to the doctor once the amlodipine drug course starts. If you have a past history of drug abuse or alcohol abuse, make sure you keep both them at bay since alcohol reacts mightily and might in turn increase the blood pressure too high for comfort.
AMLODIPINE DRUG SIDE EFFECTS:
These are much powerful drugs and therefore it is quite common that these drugs will of course have some sort of side effects. On a normal day these side effects are limited and negligible in nature. However, at times the side effects are a bit too much to control thereby making situations unpleasant. At these times reporting to the doctor is of paramount importance. Never let a side effect linger for too long.
Given below is the list of some of the common side effects faced by the patients once you go through the course of this drug.
- Symptoms Relating a Heart Attack: Often in the rush to reduce blood pressure, the benefits might backfire and you as a patient would start getting all the possible signs of a cardiac arrest. This however occurs in very rare cases when the medicine is not at all compatible with your body. You should feel suffocation and cold sweats with a feeling of heaviness and chest pains. In such a situation immediately stop the medication and report to your doctor.
- Swelling of Joints: this is a much more relaxed and common symptoms where you might experience your body bloating just a bit, especially around the joints and feet. this is nothing to worry about unless there is an alarming swelling which should be strictly looked at.
- Dizziness and Lethargy: Fatigue is a common symptom of drug use which occurs in most of the cases. Since your body is now relaxed with the drug taking over the problematic regions, it is now easy for your body to feel at rest thereby bringing in the lethargy. Dizziness too can prevail which is common. At around this time be careful not to walk around with a dizzy head.
- Heartbeat Rate Increase: Heart palpitations at the initial stages might be a common amlodipine side effects where your heart is now pumping in more blood to make up for the low blood flow. This is common until it persists for too long.
- Muscle Pain and Twitches: Often your muscles are affected too due to this prescribed drug and the side effect to this might be in the form of muscle cramps and pain along with slight twitches. This is nothing to worry about.
- Cold Sweat and Chills: side effects of amlodipine also include clammy cold sweats with chills running down the length of your spine. Cold sweats and chills at the initial stage of usage may be your body’s way of coping but repeated cold sweats can also be a hint of an oncoming cardiac arrest.
- Gum Bleeds: gum bleeding is yet another problem that one faces while going through the course of this medicine drug. In case of this occurring, please revert back to your doctor.
- Skin Issues: skin issues occur in the form of itching or small allergy rashes which can even end up in swelling and redness along with a slight burning feeling.
- Diarrhea and Urine Change: diarrhea might be another problem that you face along with change in the color of your urine. You might experience yellow urine with slight burning sensation.
Rise in your blood pressure level may be the reason of the current stress situation that you’re always in and this does not get any better with the wrong medications having their toll on you. hence, in the light of this article the drug amlodipine works to reduce the high blood pressure rates thereby allowing your body to tackle stress the right way.