Has it ever occurred to you how a simple pain possibly a bad back or a heavy hurting knee caused your body temperature to rise? This is predominantly common in kids, rather infants when a heavy hurting area on your body can often be the result of a raging fever that stubbornly welcomes its stay for a bit too long. Whilst we were wondering how to tackle both the pain med and the fever medicines, the new commercial world of advanced medicine and science has brought to us this drug called Acetaminophen which is both a pain and a fever reliever. This pertains to a mixture of two drug classes, one being analgesics which are pain relievers and the other is antipyretics which reduces your fever.
Approved by the FDA in 1951, acetaminophen regulates the temperature change in your body thereby preventing the body heat to rise whilst it also controls the production of a hormone that would cause pain and swelling. With the hormone in check it is often easy for this medicine to make sure the pain levels are elevated so that pain cannot easily become a hindrance. Acetaminophen as the scientific name goes, is also known widely as Tylenol, a much more household friendly name which is often used to treat fever and heated body temperature. Often muscle pains, stiffness or cramps, period pains, back marrow pain, headache, tooth or gum pain, arthritis and such can be treated using Tylenol. This is a consumer friendly drug that one can always keep handy possibly in your purse or your bedside night stand. Slight fevers or common colds with runny red nose and a pounding headache can be a bummer for the night and at times like this acetaminophen can really work wonders on you. However, it is always recommended that you check in with a doctor regarding the dosages or the intake routines.
Owing to the ever progressing technologies and the new consumer friendly drugs, life in today’s world is quite a piece of pie compared to back in the days. With the latest innovations, now we get to cure two problems at one go, almost like they say in the proverb, killing two bird with a single stone. Enlisted in this segment is the list of all the times you can use Tylenol as your friendly guide to help you out of certain bodily problems.
- Sinus Pains: sinus occurring in the nasal cavity at times brings back a wave of sudden pain that rushes over you causing your whole head to react in a tumultuous way. The pain at this time is unbearable and to top that the pain occurring in your congested nasal passage expands all the way to your forehead. This is the perfect situation for you to pop in a Tylenol and let it do its wonders.
- Gum and Tooth Pain: acetaminophen uses can also treat severe gum and tooth problems. Often the wisdom tooth pulling out causes bad pain. The same case is for the weak gums that often sting a little the persistent pain always showing up at the wrong time. Acetaminophen can also treat dental or periodontal problems.
- Heavy Fever and Chills: fever as mentioned earlier is caused by the temperature regulating system of your body that increases the temperature causing the feeling of illness. Here acetaminophen regulates and keeps the body temperature in check thereby preventing the temperature from rising.
- Osteoarthritis: arthritis or skeletal and joint problems many times causes writhing pain, the kind that cannot be controlled. After many sleepless nights and no jog mornings, if you finally decide to take a Tylenol you may realize the arthritis pain slowly getting in control maybe even eliminating itself once in the term.
- Muscle cramps and Sudden Pain: muscle cramps are no foreign to us anyway. A twist gone wrong or a bad sleeping position will always give you the worst of muscle stiffness possibly at times backed by some pain. this is why one should always keep acetaminophen within your hand’s reach.
- Menstrual Cramps: for the girls who trembles in fear for those days of the month, period pains or rather abdominal pains can get worse if you keep ignoring it resulting in more sleepless nights. Acetaminophen, according to a study revealed that it actually cures menstrual abdominal pains.
- Vaccination Shots: we are no stranger to those painful vaccination shots that often brings a slight fever along with a stinging pain in the area being injected. This is also most occurring in the case of infants when they are getting their first vaccinations. At this time, Tylenol can help you get rid of unnecessary pain and fever.
- Pregnancy Care: the words acetaminophen pregnancy can be linked together as this is one of the most common recommendations for sick mothers during their pregnancy term. Stepping into motherhood also means taking care of oneself as a mother and fever whilst carrying your baby within you can risk your baby’s health.
HOW TO USE ACETAMINOPHEN:
For the best usage advice, it is best that you consult the doctor or abide by the doctor’s recommendation. If not you can always use the label as an advice as to how much you should intake. Acetaminophen comes in different packages and dosages and even under different brand names. In this segment, we are dealing with Tylenol but often there are other medications too that contain this drug. Make sure you are opting for the right brand choice for your problem and always feel free to consult a professional regarding a query.
Usually acetaminophen can be taken in through your mouth where much like a normal prescription medicine. Use a glass full of water to swallow it down and some more water to wash down the medicine properly. If in suspension form, it is usually advised that you measure your doses closely since liquid suspensions always come with a risk of overdosing if not measured well. However, acetaminophen dosage baby related should always be in the suspension form, a bottle that needs to be shaken up well before usage. At times certain acetaminophen comes in the form of oral syringes too. There are also chewable tablets available that you should properly chew before gulping it down. In other cases, you can just use an appropriate amount of water to dissolve the tablet and then drink the water with the granules and the disintegrated tablet in it in best cases.
The introduction of medically prevalent fast acting drugs and pharmaceuticals in our daily lives has brought about a revolution in how people look at the medical industry. With the rising growth in need for new kinds of fast acting medication there have been a few great implementations that have taken the medical industry by storm. One of these drugs is acetaminophen which is used mainly to help treat or in better words regulate sudden temperature spikes in your body and also controls the hormone secretion during this stage which causes swelling of joints in both infants and adults. The normal dosage of this drug normally consists of acetaminophen 500 mg which is a general dosage for any healthy adult.
The dosage is a normal twice daily, once in the morning and once when tucking in for the night. Dosage though can be regulated according to the severity of the case therefore requiring some consultation by a trained physician on the matter. For children mainly infants in this case acetaminophen 350 mg is the best dosage to provide in cases of temperature spikes and joint pain as it helps to regulate the body in a more constant manner as compared to any other medication. In any extreme cases where any individual is suffering from elevated temperature spikes and severe joint pain then acetaminophen 650 mg is recommended for use as it gives semi-instant relief with regulated dosages you will be able to feel the difference in a couple of days. It is more of an emergency dosage for any extreme situation and is not recommended for constant use. Before the intake of any medication it is always wise t take the consultation of any skilled physician so that you have a firm idea as to the exact dosage to use for the situation at hand.
The first thing to keep in mind while taking in acetaminophen is your pregnancy period. Acetaminophen is known to pass on to your breast milk. Even though this drug is recommended during pregnancy, the dosages or the types vary. Inform your doctor so that he can prescribe something that doesn’t affect the baby.
Heavy alcoholics or drug abusers too should refrain from their usual schedule once the treatment period starts. Alcohol or too much nicotine in the system can become an obstacle for the medicine. Also people with liver problems or liver diseases should be subject to precaution, possibly let your doctor know beforehand. Also, this medicine often carries inactive contents which might cause allergic reactions to proliferate. Hence, if you are prone to allergies let your doctor know precisely. Acetaminophen overdose should be strictly avoided.
INTERACT WITH OTHER MEDICATIONS:
A product that widely reacts to acetaminophen is ketoconazole. This is strictly an anti fungal medicine that combats any sort of fungal reactions in your body and is often used for dandruff and hair problems as well. The next to the line includes vitamins or external proteins. Often we subject to external vitamins as a source of body building. Also, over the counter medicines, even if its herbal in nature needs to be furnished in front of the doctor once he recommends this medicine to you.
In case you are taking allergy medicines, it is of paramount importance that you inform your doctor beforehand so that it doesn’t react with the medication.
Acetaminophen widely known as a fever reducer and a pain eliminator, of course is a valuable addition to your medicine cabinet. Even during pregnancy it can be used for both the baby and the mother. However, much like every other medicine acetaminophen too comes with a set of side effects that may or may not affect you. Even though the doctor usually should let you know of the possible side effects, in case he missed it, given here is a list of all the adverse effects that might affect you.All though acetaminophen side effects usually are not that strong, in case of extremeness make sure you immediately consult the doctor.
- Allergies: allergies have always been a hindrance to this medication. Acetaminophen often encourages allergies and often at times you might find yourself being subjected to one. This may come in the form of itchiness which soon will move on to red blotchy rashes all over your body. Consult your doctor immediately.
- Changes in Excretion: one of the most common side effect to Tylenol comes in the form of changes in the consistency or color of your excretion. This usually includes changes in the color of urine, possibly becoming dark. The same can be said for bowels which become clayey in nature.
- Nausea: Dizziness, fatigue and the overwhelming feeling of nausea will always be a constant problem especially if your body has a low immunity system. Nausea can directly be linked to vomiting which is not a common side effect but might still occur if the medication dose is too strong for you. Often the medication and your diet doesn’t match paths and in a situation like this always consult a doctor regarding the diet check and the medication dose.
- Loss of Appetite: side effects of acetaminophen also include loss of appetite which might be a regular problem. Loss of appetite comes suddenly and might be a persistent problem in the case of which you might need to see your doctor again. If loss of appetite is encouraged, immunity or body building proteins will be left out on.
- Pneumonitis: Pneumonitis is yet another side effect which even though is rare can definitely be a risk. Lung problems might occur at this time one of which is Pneumonitis which can be defined as an inflammation of the lung walls or the alveoli in the lungs.
- Breathing Trouble: taking a cue from the same problem about the lungs, shortness of breath can also occur at times. At rare cases, breathlessness also occurs because of the swelling of tongue or the throat which can also be considered a sign of severe allergy.
- Stomach Pain: stomach pain is also considered an active sign of side effects. This can be in the form of abdominal pain which if extreme should always be consulted and informed to the doctor. Other stomach pain can also include indigestion problems due to the heavy medication dosage.
- Skin Color Change: much like jaundice, a subtle change in your skin color may occur, almost yellowing your skin a little bit. This might also be considered a possible oncoming wave of jaundice and should immediately be looked into.
Pain or analgesic medicines are quite the need in the present day world especially because of the serious nature of work force and lifestyle where a simple pain be it a periodontal constraint or an ugly sinus ache can hinder everyday life businesses. This is why we have medicinal drugs like acetaminophen that regulate the pain levels reducing the pain, swelling and redness along with it so that you can ease on to your packed lifestyle without worrying about pain.